Monday, February 22, 2016

Daddy's Office Has No Door

In our old apartment, there was a small room, off of the living room, that we made into an office. We lined it with bookshelves- all of which were stuffed to the brim with books on everything from commentaries and Hebrew and Greek texts to C.S. Lewis novels and Harry Potter. In the nooks and crannies and little openings between the books I had set pictures of Annie as a baby and pictures of our family. Also in the room were whiteboards covered in Aramaic, Hebrew, and other languages I could never decipher- clear evidences that this was Matt's studying cove. Annie knew this room as "Daddy's office," the room enclosed only by a thick red curtain, but no door.

As our Annie girl grew and began walking, this room held more and more of a draw for her. She no longer looked at the curtains as barriers, for she knew that she could easily and quickly sneak right through them into a room filled with books, pens, markers, and other treasures. And, if she made her little escapade at night when Daddy was home, she knew she would most likely find him sitting in his tall black chair, and that he would always welcome her with a smile and a warm hug (even though Annie hugs only last for a few special seconds before she is on to something else :)

As I watched this happen night after night, I began to see a beautiful picture of our unlimited access to our loving Heavenly Father. Through our union with Jesus, the "door" to Him has been torn down. We no longer have a barrier between us and Him. We can crawl to Him at any time, knowing He will always receive us with loving, gentle arms- not because of anything we have done or because of who we are, but because He has chosen to set His perfect, steadfast love on us.

Watching Annie crawl through the curtain, her face lit up with her beautiful baby smile, and seeing her climb up onto Daddy's lap encouraged me to "crawl into" my Father's lap as often as I can- praying to Him as I'm washing dishes or rocking my baby to sleep. And listening to His Words throughout my day. I can know with confidence that He will never turn me away, but will always welcome me with loving arms.


"Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)


No comments:

Post a Comment